Rahel Schmid, MD
Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology of the Musculoskeletal System (FMH) Certificate in Manual Medicine
Faculty and Specialty
Foot and Ankle: operative and non-operative treatment of Foot and Ankle Disorders, Ankle Arthroscopy, Foot and Ankle Reconstruction, Foot and Ankle Joint Replacement, Tendon and Ligament Reconstruction, Sports Injuries (Achilles, Sprains), Fractures
General Orthopedics and Traumatology
German – native
English – fluent (C1)
French – basic knowledge (A2)
Italian – beginner (A1)
Education, Training and Curriculum
- Partner at Private Practice LEONARDO, since 2019
- Consultant and Specialist Foot and Ankle Surgery, Private Practice LEONARDO, Hirslanden Klinik Birshof, Münchenstein, Switzerland, since April 2015
- Visiting Fellowship, Footcenter Schulthessklinik Zürich, Switzerland (Dr. P. Rippstein), 2015
- Visiting Fellowship, The Institute for Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy, Baltimore, USA (Prof. M.S. Myerson), 2015
- Consultant for Foot and Ankle Surgery Orthomotion Cityclinic Thun, Switzerland, part-time, 2014 – 2016
- Senior Consultant in orthopedic surgery and traumatology of the musculoskeletal system, Cantonal Hospital Baselland, Switzerland (Dr. J. Skarvan, Prof. B. Hintermann), 2013 – 2014
- Resident in orthopedic surgery, Regional Hospital Bülach, Switzerland (Dr. M. Els), 2011 – 2012
- Resident in childrens orthopedic surgery, Childrens University Hospital Basel, Switzerland (Prof. F. Hefti, Prof. C. Hasler), 2010 – 2011
- Resident in orthopedic surgery and traumatology of the musculoskeletal system, Cantonal Hospital Bruderholz, Switzerland (Prof. N.F. Friederich), 2007 – 2010
- Resident in general surgery and orthopedic surgery, Cantonal Hospital Sursee, Switzerland (Dr. M. Els), 2005 – 2007
- Medical Doctorate, University of Basel, Switzerland, 2007
- Final medical Exam, University of Basel, Switzerland, 2004
Swiss Medical Association (FMH)
Association of Swiss Assistant and Senior Consultants (VSAO)
Swiss Medical Association for Manual Medicine (SAMM)
Swiss Foot and Ankle Society (SFAS)
Annual Congress of the SGOT (Swiss association for orthopedic surgery and traumatology) 2012: Poster: Ankle Range of Motion – a Simple Measurement?
Hirschmann MT, Schmid RB, Dhawan R, Skarvan J, Rasch H, Friederich NF, Emery R. Combined single photon emission computerized tomography and conventional computerized tomography: Clinical value for the shoulder surgeons? Int J Shoulder Surg. 2011 Jul-Sept; 5(3): 72-76.
Schmid RB, Wirz D, Göpfert B, Arnold MP, Friederich NF, Hirschmann MT. Intra-operative femoral condylar stress during arthroscopy: an in vivo biomechanical assessment. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2011 May;19(5):747-52. Epub 2010 Dec 11.
Schmid RB, Kröll A, Friederich NF. Recommendations for sexual activity after total hip arthroplasty – review of the literature. Ther Umsch. 2010 Mar;67(3):135-8. Review. German.
Annual Congress of the SGOT (Swiss association for orthopedic surgery and traumatology) 2009: Poster: Missed Stress Fracture of the Femoral Neck in a Recreational Runner, A Case Report. Poster: Coexistent Gouty and Pseudogouty Arthropathy in Total Knee Arthroplasty, A Case Report.
Annual Congress of the SGOT (Swiss association for orthopedic surgery and traumatology) 2008: Lecture, 3rd prize: Varus and valgus forces during knee arthroscopy: a possible reason for osteonecrosis of the femoral condyle?